Sutnick & Sutnick Attorneys at Law

Bergen County


Call Anytime - Day or Night

Free Consultation

Menu Contact
Attorney Advertising
View Full Practice Areas List

Criminal record expunged after 18 years

Crimes committed as a juvenile can often haunt a person for many years. While most juvenile criminal records are sealed once the offender becomes an adult, in some cases, a juvenile crime record can continue to cause problems for former offenders. New Jersey residents may be interested to learn about a man who fought to have his juvenile criminal record erased after 18 years of living a crime-free life.

The man was first declared delinquent when he was 13 years old. He was placed on probation and did time at a boys' home for juvenile crimes including burglary, theft, stealing a car, driving without a license, underage drinking and others.

He got into trouble with the law again when he was 22 years old. He pleaded guilty to third-degree charges of receiving stolen property and burglary. Since then, he hasn't been in trouble. He opted to file for his record to be expunged in 2011, but a lower court rejected his request, citing his juvenile record. In many cases, the option is only applicable to one-time offenders.

Appellate judges disagreed with the lower court and ruled that the crimes committed as a juvenile couldn't be used to deny the man's request to expunge his criminal record.

The penalties of a juvenile conviction can sometimes come back to haunt an adult. But everyone knows that what someone does as a child does not mean that person will do the same thing as an adult. Mistakes happen, and it's important that people's mistakes from their youth not be held against them as adults.

Source: "Man's criminal record expunged after 18 years, despite juvenile offenses," Lillian Shupe, Feb. 1, 2013

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

The Best Lawyers lists are issued by Best Lawyers; the Best Law Firms lists are issued by U.S. News and Best Lawyers. The Super Lawyers lists are issued by ThomsonReuters. Learn more about the selection methodology for these honors: Best Lawyers - Best Law Firms - Super Lawyers. No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey.

 Attorneys at Law
Hackensack 201-212-4532

Hackensack Office
Court Plaza South, West Wing 21 Main Street, Suite 171
Hackensack, NJ 07601

Phone: 201-212-4532
Fax: 201-342-7557
Hackensack Law Office Map

Bronx Office
172 East 161 Street
Bronx, NY 10451

Phone: 201-212-4532
Phone: 212-414-4330
Fax: 201-342-7557
Bronx Office Location

Wayne Office
500 Valley Road
Wayne, NJ 07470

Phone: 201-212-4532
Fax: 201-342-7557
Wayne Office Location