Laura C. Sutnick
- Partner- Sutnick & Sutnick Attorneys at Law
Location: Hackensack, NJ
Laura C. Sutnick is a highly experienced criminal defense attorney with a demonstrated track record of success. She is certified by the Supreme Court of New Jersey as a Criminal Trial Attorney and has served as lead counsel for many high-profile defendants.
A seasoned lawyer, Ms. Sutnick handles a wide range of criminal cases, including those involving domestic violence, drug charges, DWI/DUI, juvenile offenses, sex crimes, violent crimes, shoplifting and theft. She has also represented defendants in the Appellate Division and in the New Jersey Supreme Court. In addition, Ms. Sutnick has obtained a gubernatorial pardon for a client charged with the unlawful possession of a firearm.
Ms. Sutnick sits on the Executive Board of the Bergen County Bar Association, of which she has been an instrumental member for over 20 years, and currently serves as its First Vice President. Ms. Sutnick also serves as the co-chair of the Judicial Selection and Judicial Performance committees and is a frequent lecturer at continuing legal education seminars.
After graduating with honors from Boston University, Ms. Sutnick earned a law degree from the Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law. Following law school, Ms. Sutnick was employed as a senior trial attorney for the Kings County District Attorney’s Office in Brooklyn, New York. Today, Ms. Sutnick is admitted to practice in the state courts of New Jersey and New York, as well as the U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey.
Enthusiastic about sharing her legal knowledge, Ms. Sutnick has been a trial skills advisor at the Cardozo School of Law Intensive Trial Advocacy Program and at Seton Hall Law School’s Persuasion and Advocacy course. Ms. Sutnick has also been a frequent guest commentator on Court TV offering her expert opinion.
Ms. Sutnick is proficient in Spanish, allowing her to communicate with a greater number of clients.
Areas Of Practice
- Criminal Law
- New Jersey, 1992
- New York, 1993
- U.S. District Court District of New Jersey, 1999
- Yeshiva University Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law, New York, New York
- J.D. - 1992
- Boston University, Boston, Massachusetts
- B.A. - 1989
- Honors: cum laude
- Major: International Relations
- Inside the Minds: Key Principles of Defending Internet Pornography Charges, Aspatore, 2012
- Moderator: A View from the Municipal Court Bench, Bergen County Bar Association, 2021
- Moderator: Extreme Risk Protective Orders (ERPO), Bergen County Bar Association, 2020
- Speaker: Understanding and Managing Traumatized Clients: Women Lawyers in Bergen, 2019
- Trial Skills Advisor, Cardozo Law School Intensive Trial Advocacy Program, 1995 to 2015
- Speaker: Sentencing Enhancements, No Early Release Act, New Jersey Association for Justice, 2017
- Moderator: Introduction to Municipal Court Practice, Bergen County Bar Association, 2017
- Moderator: Sex Crimes: Megan’s Law Registration and Parole Supervision for Life, Bergen County Bar Association, 2016
- Moderator: Motor Vehicle Commission Seminar , Bergen County Bar Association, 2015
- Moderator: The Ins and Outs of the Municipal Court Conditional Dismissal, Bergen County Bar Association, 2014
- Moderator: Drug Crimes: The Beginning, Middle & End , Bergen County Bar Association, 2013
- Speaker, Defending Child Sexual Abuse Cases , Criminal Courts Bar Association of Nassau County, Inc., 2013
- Moderator: Electronic Information in Criminal Proceedings, Bergen County Bar Association, 2013
- Moderator: Alternatives to Incarceration , Bergen County Bar Association, 2012
- Moderator: Ethics for Attorneys Practicing Criminal and Municipal Court Law, Bergen County Bar Association, 2011
- Moderator: The Realities of Megan’s Law Registration and Parole Supervision for Life, Bergen County Bar Association, 2011
- Adjunct Professor, Seton Hall Law School, Persuasion and Advocacy, 2023
- Speaker, A Conversation About Hot Topics in Criminal Law, Bergen County Bar Association, 2022
Honors and Awards
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Bergen County Bar Association, Executive Board, 2019 to Present
- Bergen County Bar Association, Trustee, 2014 to 2018
- Bergen County Bar Association, Bench Bar Committee, 2000 to Present
- Bergen County Bar Association, Co-chair, Municipal Court Committee, 2000 to 2019
- Bergen County Bar Association, Co-Chair: Criminal Practice Committee, 2015 to Present
- Bergen County Bar Association, Chair: Judicial Selection Committee, 2018 to Present
- Bergen County Bar Association, Member, 1999 to Present
- New Jersey Association of Criminal Defense Attorneys, 2012 to Present
- New Jersey State Bar Association, 2012 to Present
Past Employment Positions
- Kings County District Attorney's Office, Senior Trial Attorney, 1993 to 1999
- Law Offices of Laura C. Sutnick, Solo Practitioner, 1999 to 2002
Pro Bono Activities
- Mock Trial Coach, Vincent J. Apruzzese Mock Trial Competition, 2012 to 2021
- Mock Trial Advisor, Youth Peer Mentoring Program, Mount Olive Baptist Church, 2009 to 2011
A description of the selection methodology can be found at https://www.superlawyers.com/about/selection_process.html. No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey. or No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey. Please visit the Super Lawyers Selection Process for a detailed description of the Super Lawyers selection methodology.
No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey.
Results may vary depending on your particular facts and legal circumstances.